|Description||Oval wooden sign on metal post; painted on both sides in white on a dark background: "NO / LOUNGING". One side has faintly visible outlines of letters from a previous inscription that was painted over: "PHYSICIAN & CHAPLAIN / [second line is not legible]".|
|Acquisition||Gift of Sailor's Snug Harbor|
|Ownership and History||
Sailors Snug Harbor operated as a home for retired seamen on Staten Island from the 1830s to the 1970s. At that time, trustees relocated the home to North Carolina and the Staten Island site was sold to the City of New York, beginning its transformation to the Snug Harbor Cultural Center.
This sign was given to the Staten Island Historical Society by Sailors Snug Harbor in 1951. It was included in the Noble Maritime Collection's 2014 exhibition, "Daily Life at Sailors' Snug Harbor."
|Lexicon Sub-category||Visual Communication T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|