|Title||Encampment of Company A - Tompkins Blues|
|Description||Hand-colored lithograph. View of a military camp with soldiers standing at attention; there are rows of tents in the background. Printed caption: "Thayer & Cos. Lithogy. Boston. / ENCAMPMENT OF COMPANY A - TOMPKINS BLUES - CAPT. JOHN MAYHER, / AT FORT TOMPKINS, STATEN ISLAND, AUGT. 20TH. 1842. / Published by James L. Hewitt, 239 Broadway and Firth & Hall, 1 Franklin Sq."|
|Ownership and History||
The Tompkins Blues was a volunteer militia company that was raised and organized in 1826. They were named in honor of Staten Island resident Daniel D. Tompkins (1774-1825), who served as Vice President of the U.S. under James Monroe.
Two forts are visible in this view. The one on the waterfront at left is Fort Richmond, and the fort at the top of the hill is Fort Tompkins. Both were demolished around the time of the Civil War.
See the book ”Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900” by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
|Maker||Hewitt, James L. [publisher]|
Tompkins, Daniel D.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, February 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|