Hand-colored engraving, matted. Landscape and water view, with buildings along the waterfront, a large building with columns at right, another building in the distance at right (with a flag flying from the chimney), and a circular drive in the foreground. There are several sailing ships in the water. Printed inscriptions below illustration: "Ahrens sc. / STAATEN-ISLAND / Published for HERRMANN J. MEYER No 164. William-Street, NEWYORK."
(Keywords: Staaten Island, New York)
|Ownership and History||
The area pictured in this print is Fort Hill, Staten Island, which was then considered part of New Brighton and is now considered part of St. George. The house featured on the right is the home of John Westervelt, who was chief physician of the Quarantine. On the left in the distance is the St. Nicholas Hospital at the Quarantine. In the far right distance, with flag flying, is the Pavilion Hotel. All have since been demolished.
See the book ”Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900” by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
|Maker||Meyer, Herrmann J.|
Westervelt, Dr. John S.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.