Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Dress
Alternate Name Day Dress
Date 1870-1875
Description Woman's 2-piece day dress. Blue silk, trimmed with embroidery applique in shades of green, white, and yellow. Boned bodice has curved princess seams, front closure with covered buttons (one missing), standing collar, narrow coat sleeves, and weighted tail in back. Skirt is elaborately pleated, with asymmetrical detail in the front, asymmetrical skirt drapery in the back, and a box ruffle at the hem. Skirt is gathered in center back and has a long train. Floral and leaf machine embroidery is applied down both sides of bodice front, around neckline, at cuffs, and on skirt. Maker's label is printed on interior waistband: "AUGUSTINE COHN & CO. / ROBES & MANTEAUX / 244 Rue de Rivoli. PARIS / 39 Conduit Street. LONDON."
(Keywords: Fashion, Bustle, Victorian, New York)
Acquisition Gift of M. Adelaide Irving
Ownership and History This dress may have belonged to the donor's mother, Maria Adelaide (Henderson) Irving. Miss Henderson, one of the 15 children of John C. Henderson, grew up at "Linden Lawn," a large estate on Bard Avenue. She was married to Gugy Aemilius Irving in 1879 and the couple had five children. The Irving family lived at 102 Henderson Avenue, New Brighton, Staten Island. They were active in the Episcopal Church and in various community organizations and charities.
Earliest Date 1870
Latest Date 1875
Maker Augustine Cohn & Co., Paris and London
Subjects Clothing & dress
Lexicon Sub-category Clothing -- Outerwear
Associated People Irving, Maria Adelaide (Henderson)
Catalog Number C01.3324
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.