|Artist||George F. Nesbitt & Co.|
|Title||Staten Island Railroad|
|Description||Printed broadside, black ink on paper. There is a small engraving of a train, with printed inscription above and below: "STATEN ISLAND / RAILROAD. / Connecting with Railroad Ferry. / FROM PIER No. 2 N. R. / On and after July 2d, 1861, Trains will run as follows: /..." Inscription continues with departure times for trains from Tottenville to connect with boats for New York, and trains from Vanderbilt Landing, leaving upon arrival of boats from New York. Inscription continues: "Excursion Tickets allowing passengers to visit the Camps, / and take another train for any other point, and return same day, / Fifty Cents, to be procured at the Company's Office. No. 7 / Broadway. / At Tottenville, the Yacht Propeller GRACE IRVING / connects to Amboy / upon arrival and departure of each train. / J.W. WILBUR, Acting Sup't. / GEORGE F. NESBITT & CO., Printers, corner of Pearl and Pine Streets, New-York." Dimensions are 19.250 inches high x 12 inches wide.|
|Ownership and History||
This broadside was produced a little more than a year after the Staten Island Railroad began passenger service from Vanderbilt Landing (near Stapleton and Clifton) to Tottenville, a 13-mile journey.
The reference to "the Camps" refers to the military encampments that were located on Staten Island around the time of the Civil War.
|Maker||George F. Nesbitt & Co.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Advertising Medium|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, July 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|