|Title||[Sampler made by Catherine E. Seguine]|
Genealogical sampler. Embroidered with silk thread on cotton ground. Floral border. Inscription at top: "FAMILY RECORD", with columns below for names, births, marriages, and deaths. Inscription in lower center: "Wrought by / Catherine E. Seguine ag'd 12 years / Westfield Staten Island 1843". Motifs include a house and a landscape with a woman looking at a bird in a tree. A verse is on the left side above landscape: "Connubial love two hearts unite / And makes life's care and burden light / 'Tis virtue forms the wreath around / To keep suspicion from their bound". Overall dimensions are 25.5" H x 25.5" W.
(Keywords: New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Seguine Smith|
|Ownership and History||
The building depicted in this sampler is the Seguine family home in Princes Bay, Staten Island. The impressive Greek Revival structure was built in 1838 by Catherine's father, Joseph Seguine, and reflects his success in his various business ventures, which included cultivating hay and harvesting fish, oysters and clams. The house still stands and is now part of the Historic House Trust of New York City.
Catherine, born in December 1830, was the eldest child of Ellen Cadmus and Joseph Seguine. She married Henry Holton, a farmer, in January 1849, and they settled in nearby Woodbridge, New Jersey.
Genealogical samplers, also called family records, typically recorded the birth, marriage, and death dates of the maker's parents and siblings. Family records of the early nineteenth century often included a memorial to a deceased family member; the urn, willow, and inscription "Sacred to the dead" in Catherine's sampler may refer to the death of her infant sister Ellen three years earlier.
|Maker||Seguine, Catherine E.|
Seguine, Catherine E.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|