|Title||Panorama of the Harbor of New York, Staten Island and the Narrows|
|Description||Tinted lithograph, beige and blue. Bird's-eye view of New York Harbor, with the northeast portion of Staten Island in the foreground and Brooklyn at right. Printed title: "PANORAMA of the HARBOR of NEW YORK, / STATEN ISLAND and the NARROWS." Identified features include: "STATEN ISLAND. Quarantine. Fort Tompkins. Fort Richmond. Bedlows Island. The Narrows. Ellis Island. Fort Lafayette. CITY OF NEW YORK. CITY OF BROOKLYN. Fort Hamilton (Long Island.) Greenwood Cemetery." Inscriptions immediately below the image at center: "Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1854 by Nagel & Weingartner in the Clerk's office of the District Court of the Southern District of N. Y." Below title at center: "Published by GOUPIL & Co. 366 Broadway, New-York." Lower left: "Drawn from Nature & on Stone by JOHN BORNET" and lower right: "Print by Nagel & Weingartner N.Y."|
|Acquisition||Gift of Jean and Buddy Roland|
|Ownership and History||
The community of Clifton, Staten Island, appears prominently in the foreground of this print, and several residences are depicted in detail, suggesting the artist may have sought to have their owners purchase copies of the print. Identified structures include the homes of John A. Appleton, James F.D. Lanier, William H. Aspinwall, and Daniel Low.
John Bornet is named in the inscription as both the artist and the lithographer. He appears as "lithographer" in Trow's New York City Directory for 1852-1853 and as "artist" in 1855-1856.
See the book "Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900" by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Staten Island Foundation, December 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|