|Artist||City of New York|
|Title||Fresh Kills Land Fill = 100 Acres of Parks Arterials Public Works = 100 Acres for Private Development|
Published report, 12 pages, staple-bound, with soft cover. Report to Mayor Impellitteri and the Board of Estimate. Authored by Cornelius A. Hall, Borough President of Richmond; Robert Moses, City Construction Co-ordinator and Commissioner of Department of Parks; and Andrew W. Mulrain, Commissioner of Department of Sanitation. Booklet design by Richard C. Guthridge and printed by Taber Press. Cover features abstract design of squares in red, black, and a khaki-tan color. Content includes maps and aerial diagrams of Fresh Kills showing proposed residential, industrial, and park areas. Residential areas are proposed for the area west of Richmond Avenue and north of Arthur Kill Road, with industrial areas indicated west of the West Shore Expressway. The proposed intersection of Richmond Parkway and Willowbrook Parkway is shown. Richmondtown Restoration (now Historic Richmond Town) is noted on the maps and is illustrated and discussed on pages 10-12.
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Ownership and History||This report lays out New York City's mid-twentieth-century plans for the areas surrounding the Fresh Kills waterway of Staten Island. The City of New York established a landfill at Fresh Kills around 1948, initially with the idea that short-term use for disposal of garbage would be followed by further development. Some aspects of the plan were eventually adopted, like the construction of the West Shore Expressway, but most were not. Fresh Kills Landfill remained active over the next 50 years, closing in 2001. As of 2015, the area is being redesigned as the 2,200-acre Freshkills Park.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, February 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|