|Date||January 9, 1891|
|Title||[C.M. Pine & Son invoice]|
Printed and handwritten invoice on billhead, black, pink, and blue ink on paper. Printed and handwritten inscription at top: "Ledger 9 / Folio 355 / Jan 9 1891 / Mr. N.M. Heal / BOUGHT OF C.M. PINE & SON, / Staple AND Fancy Groceries. / C. M. PINE. / C. THEO. PINE. / Accounts settled monthly, and interest charged from date of purchase if not promptly paid." At left is a printed inscription within a printed border: "ESTABLISHED 1848 / ALWAYS ON HAND A LARGE AND / COMPLETE STOCK OF / DRY GOODS, GROCERIES / YANKEE NOTIONS, / HARDWARE / BOOTS, SHOES AND RUBBERS. / HAY, STRAW AND FEED, / PAINTS, OILS, &C. / OPPOSITE POST OFFICE." At bottom, a handwritten inscription on printed blue and red lines indicates that the bill is for citron and four yards of gingham, purchased on December 2, and ten buttons purchased on January 7.
(Keywords: New York)
|Ownership and History||
Charles M. Pine and his son C. Theodore Pine operated a grocery and dry goods store on Richmond Terrace in West New Brighton, Staten Island.
This invoice was apparently written just before the business failed. The Richmond County Advance of January 24, 1891, reported: "The saddest thing in connection with the recent failure of C.M. Pine & Son is, that the senior member of that firm, who is now past his 80th year, is left penniless. After an active business career of more than half a century, during which time he commanded the respect and confidence of the community, he has lived to see the fruits of his labor swept away, at a time when he is utterly powerless to prevent. He has the heartfelt sympathy of the community in his distress."
Dry goods stores
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Pine, Charles M.
Pine, Charles Theodore
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, September 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|