Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Drawing
Artist Cropsey, Jasper Francis
Date June 22, 1866
Title [Study for Grymes Hill]
Description Pencil drawing on paper, with highlights in white crayon. Landscape scene with a towered building near a meadow in the distance, surrounded by trees and foliage. A curving road or driveway and a board fence are in the foreground. Drawing is signed: "J. F. C. 1866 S. I. June 22." Handwritten notations by the artist seem to indicate the intended coloration of details like the large beech tree at left. The drawing measures 12.25 inches high x 9.25 inches wide.
(Keywords: New York)
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History This drawing presents the picturesque vista seen on the drive approaching one of Staten Island's grand country estates on Grymes Hill. The towered house that appears in the distance is the Howard Avenue residence of Thomas Eakin (1822-1874). The house, called "Eastover," was designed by architect James Renwick about 1855 for Mr. Eakin, founder of the New York banking firm Thomas Eakin & Co. It was later owned by James Morgan Davis.

The drawing was made as a study for Cropsey's oil painting of Grymes Hill, now in the collection of the Brooklyn Museum (39.409). The painting is approximately the same size as the drawing. It has the addition of figures walking on the path but otherwise follows the drawing quite closely in the details of the scene and the effects of light shown here with white crayon. See the book "Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900" by Barnett Shepherd (pages 142-143) for more information.
Earliest Date 1866
Latest Date 1866
Subjects Landscape drawings
Estates
Lexicon Sub-category Art
Catalog Number 41.012.0001
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by The Staten Island Foundation, January 2014.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.