|Object Name||Plate, Commemorative|
Sailor's Snug Harbor souvenir plate. Plate is white opaque glass in the shape of a ship's wheel with anchor and rope; painted nautical details; mechanically-produced illustration at center shows the colonnaded front of a large building, captioned "MAIN BUILDING / SAILORS SNUG HARBOR, N.Y."; embossed on reverse: "PATENTED AUG. 20. 1901".
(Keywords: Souvenir, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Barnett Shepherd|
|Ownership and History||Originally a residential complex for retired seamen, the landmark depicted on this plate is now known as Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden. The 1901 patent date on the plate corresponds to the one hundredth anniversary of the 1801 bequest that established the institution.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|