Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Plow, Moldboard
Date ca. 1820-1850
Description Moldboard plow of cast iron with wood handle, beam, and bow brace. Handle has a single shaft with a wood handgrip mortised through from front to back. Iron share is triangular in shape. Iron moldboard has raised inscription on interior, "WOOD'S PATENT. / HUDSON FURNACE / B." Iron landside has raised inscription on interior, "[H]UDSON / B." A metal tag applied to the beam has a stamped inscription, "BOW BRACE / PEG HANDLE / OX PLOW" (presumably added by collector George Simmons).

Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History Staten Island had thousands of acres of farmland in the mid-19th century. Farms supplied food to local residents as well as products for distribution to nearby Manhattan and other markets. But Staten Island's farmland, with its rocks, sand, and clay, was not easy to cultivate. Animal-drawn plows like this were the most efficient way to break the sod and turn the soil.

This particular plow, although similar to what would have been used on Staten Island, was acquired from George Simmons, a farmer, teacher, and collector of antique tools who lived on Long Island and in upstate New York. An inscription on the iron moldboard refers to a patent given to Jethro Wood of New York State in 1819. Wood's design allowed for the easier replacement of parts in the event the plow point was damaged by striking a hard object.

Earliest Date 1820
Latest Date 1850
Subjects Agricultural machinery & implements
Agriculture
Farming
Lexicon Sub-category Agricultural T&E
Catalog Number 60.001.0014
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.