Plastic Italian ices cup with lid. The side of the cup has color illustrations representing the Staten Island Ferry, the Statue of Liberty, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, and an island marked "STATEN ISLAND". The printed inscription above the illustration reads "RALPH'S / GOURMET / ITALIAN ICES / Imported / from / Staten Island".
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York)
|Ownership and History||Ralph's Famous Italian Ices was founded by Italian immigrant Ralph Silvestro, who began by selling ices from a truck in 1928. He opened his store in Port Richmond, Staten Island, around 1945, and his family continued the tradition, overseeing the expansion of the business throughout the New York metro area. Ralph's is still in business as of 2013.|
Ice cream & ices
|Lexicon Sub-category||Merchandising T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|