|Description||Child's convertible highchair, with a shield-shaped caned back, a fitted tray attached to the arms, and its original woven cane seat. The legs were made in two sections with a metal device in center. Patent date on back: "Feb. 29 1876." Probably manufactured by Thompson, Perley & Waite, Baldwinsville, Massachusetts. Highchair measures 36.250 inches high x 15.250 inches wide x 25.250 inches deep.|
|Acquisition||Gift of Jane DePuy and Mrs. Alvin DePuy|
|Ownership and History||
In the late 1800s, manufacturers began making multi-purpose highchairs. This convertible highchair, patented in 1876, has a mechanism that allows it to convert to a rocking chair and a stroller. Parents no doubt appreciated the savings in money and space that came from combining several useful items into one.
This chair was used by Jane DePuy (1900-1991), a lifelong resident of Port Richmond, Staten Island. Jane was the daughter of Alvin B. and Mary (Diegel) DePuy. During World War II, Jane served for 4 years in the Women's Army Corps (WACs). She was a librarian for the WACs while stationed in Boca Raton, Florida; she also served in Berlin with the armed forces as a staff sergeant with counterintelligence for part of her service. Jane DePuy played the piano, and took part in musical entertainments in service centers in the U.S. and in England and Germany.
In civilian life, Jane accompanied the Richmond Glee Club on piano for many years; she was also an accompanist for the Aeolian Women's Chorus of Staten Island and the Masonic Glee Club. She was a member of the Staten Island chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and a curator at the Staten Island Historical Society. In 1987 she was honored by the Staten Island Women's Post of the American Legion.
|Maker||probably Thompson, Perley & Waite, Baldwinsville, MA|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, September 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|