Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Card, Trade
Date ca. 1890-1908
Description Business card; black printed inscription on off-white card stock. Underneath the inscription is a pale blue illustration of several buildings; one building has a sign: "CHAS. BEINERT." Inscription: "TELEPHONE, 25 TOMPK. / Charles Beinert, / BUILDER, CONTRACTOR / AND ICE BOX MANUFACTURER, / 123 RICHMOND ROAD, / 1-3-5 TARGEE ST., / STAPLETON, RICHMOND BOROUGH, / NEW YORK." Reverse is blank. Card is 2.5 inches in height x 4.125 inches wide.
Ownership and History Charles Beinert was born in Stapleton, Staten Island in 1857. He joined his father's building business as a carpenter's apprentice, and took over the firm when his father died in 1882. He continued the business until January 1, 1908, after which he became president of the Staten Island Hygeia Ice and Cold Storage Company.

According to his biography in the book "Staten Island and Its People," Charles Beinert's firm specialized in the construction of ice plants and breweries. He constructed two buildings for the South African Breweries, Limited, which were then shipped in sections to Africa. He built breweries on Staten Island and in Brooklyn. Other structures included a plant for the Anderson Pressed Brick Company in Kreischerville (now Charleston), and a plant for the Ultramarine Works in that same part of Staten Island.

Charles Beinert married twice and was the father of 10 children.
Earliest Date 1890
Latest Date 1908
Material Paper
Subjects Building construction
Ephemera
Lexicon Sub-category Advertising Medium
Associated People Beinert, Charles
Catalog Number X12.0084
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2014.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.