Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Menu
Date ca. 1954-1963
Description Printed restaurant menu. Cover is blue and white with a red inscription: "AL / DEPPE'S / FOOD 'N' FUN / SINCE / '21". Cover has illustrations of food including a hot dog, a hamburger, and a crab, and amusement games including skee-ball and mechanical rides. The back cover has a drawing of a map of Staten Island, showing major roads and the location of "DEPPE'S / CORNERS". The menu categories include Appetizers, Meats, Sea Food, Soups, Side Orders, Sandwiches, Eggs, Desserts, Waffles, and Griddlecakes. A small piece of paper has been stapled inside the menu with two dinners listed, Roast Leg of Lamb and Roast Fresh Ham. One of the listings under the Meat category is "MILITARY SPECIAL: Chef Harold's Stuff-on-a-Shingle".
(Keywords: New York, Twentieth Century)
Ownership and History For many years, Al Deppe's was a popular restaurant in Greenridge, Staten Island, located at the corner of Richmond Avenue and Arthur Kill Road. The business began as a roadside balloon stand. To expand, a remodeled chicken coop was moved to the site for cooking and selling hot dogs, served on rolls from nearby Holtermann's Bakery. In the 1920s the business had no running water or electricity, but kerosene, ingenuity and visits to a local ice house kept the food coming and the customers happy. When Al Deppe's closed in 1966 it had an expanded menu and "fun" like pinball machines and carnival games such as skeeball.
Earliest Date 1954
Latest Date 1963
Material Paper
Subjects Menus
Restaurants
Food
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number X14.0025
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, November 2014.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.