|Artist||Bartlett, William Henry|
|Title||New York Bay (From the Telegraph Station)|
Engraving, glued to paper mount. Landscape scene with military structures at left and center, overlooking the Narrows with ships, with the Brooklyn shore on the right. Leafy plants appear in the foreground, and groups of people are on the hill in the middle distance near a tall pole. Inscription printed below illustration: "W. H. Bartlett / M. Osborne / NEW [Y]ORK BAY. / (From [the] Telegraph Station) / [----L]adies Wreath". Handwritten inscription in pen on mount below illustration: "N.Y. Bay From the Telegraph Station / 1838" [1838 is crossed out and "1847" added in pencil].
(Keywords: New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Oscar T. Barck|
|Ownership and History||
This view of the Narrows shows the fortifications on Staten Island. The tall pole at left is a signal pole or semaphore, which was used to communicate information about passing ships to the authorities in Manhattan. The first Fort Tompkins, with its round battlements, is shown on top of the bluff, and Fort Richmond is on the shore below.
William Henry Bartlett (1809-1854), a British landscape artist, created topographical views which were used as sources for prints that appeared in travel views throughout the 19th century.
This print, engraved by M. Osborne, was published in the Ladies' Wreath, January 1847.
See the book "Staten Island Scenery: Paintings, Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1679-1900" by Barnett Shepherd for more information.
Forts & fortifications
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2013.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|