White earthenware pitcher with blue transfer-printed decoration over the entire exterior and the interior of the rim. Squared ear-shaped handle and shaped spout. Inscription on one side: "UTICA. / A VILLAGE IN THE STATE OF / NEW YORK. THIRTY YEARS SINCE / A WILDERNESS NOW (1824) INFERIOR TO / NONE IN THE WESTERN SECTION OF THE / STATE. / IN POPULATION, WEALTH, COMMERCIAL / ENTERPRISE, ACTIVE INDUSTRY / & CIVIL IMPROVEMENT". Inscription on the other side: "THE / GRAND ERIE CANAL / A SPLENDID MONUMENT OF THE / ENTERPRISE & RESOURCES / OF THE STATE OF / NEW YORK / INDEBTED FOR ITS EARLY COMMENCEMENT / & ENLIGHTENED POLICY OF / DE WITT CLINTON. / LATE GOVERNOR OF / THE STATE." There are scenes of canal boats around the rim and under the spout, and an image of the U.S. Great Seal (an American eagle motif with the motto E PLURIBUS UNUM). Made in England. Height is 5.750 inches.
(Keywords: Commemorative, European, United States)
|Acquisition||Richard J. Turk Jr. Memorial Fund|
|Ownership and History||
This pitcher commemorates the City of Utica and and the Erie Canal. The canal formally opened in 1825, reaching from Albany to Buffalo, New York. It was immensely significant for completing the first navigable water route from the Hudson River to the Great Lakes, providing a direct link between New York City and points west.
DeWitt Clinton was a canal commissioner from 1810 until his controversial removal from that office by the New York State Legislature in 1824. He was mayor of New York City from 1803 to 1815 and governor of New York State from 1817 to 1823 and again from 1825 until his death in 1828.
This pitcher was acquired from the collection of Elliott Burgher (1897-1978) of Staten Island.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Food Service T&E|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, May 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|