|Object Name||Cup & Saucer|
|Artist||Higgins, Anne Mills (Craw)|
White porcelain teacup and saucer with hand-painted purple, yellow, and white flowers with green leaves. The teacup has a handle shaped like a butterfly, painted yellow and black. The inside of the cup and the underside of the saucer rim are colored pale green. The saucer is signed in paint on the underside: "A.M.H. / 1880". There is an incised line on the reverse in the shape of a circular swirl. The blank teacup and saucer were probably made in France and then hand-painted in the United States. The cup measures 2.25 inches high and 3.625 inches in diameter; the saucer has a diameter of 5.75 inches.
(Keywords: Victorian, European, Floral)
|Acquisition||Gift of the Estate of Ida Dudley Dale|
|Ownership and History||
According to a note that accompanied this cup and saucer, they were painted by Anne Mills (Craw) Higgins, grand-aunt of the donor, Ida Dudley Dale.
Anne Mills (Craw) Higgins (1839-1916) was an educated and artistic woman who reportedly studied at Cooper Union in New York City. She was described by Miss Dale as "a charming, cultured and beautiful gentle-woman" who was "talented with brush."
Anne was born in Manhattan, the daughter of John Craw, Jr. and Catherine (Fullington) Craw. She was first married to Thomas Shields in 1856 and then, after Shields's death, to Peter Higgins in 1871. Anne's sister, Rebecca (Craw) Griffin, was Miss Dale's grandmother.
The art of painting designs onto porcelain and other ceramics became a fashionable leisure activity for American women beginning in the 1870s. In this particularly fine example, the handle of the cup is shaped to suit the painted decoration.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Food Service T&E|
Higgins, Anne Mills (Craw)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, May 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|