|Object Name||Buckle, Shoe|
|Alternate Name||Shoe Buckles|
Pair of silver shoe buckles. Each has a convex rectangular shape with rounded corners and abstract foliate decoration, and a fastening mechanism with steel tines. One buckle has a stamped mark on reverse of "DC" in a square.
(Keywords: Fashion, Accessory, Colonial, Richmond County, New York, HRT)
|Ownership and History||
These buckles belonged to Richard Conner (1723-1792) or Richard Conner II (1763-1853).
Richard Conner II was a lifelong resident of Staten Island. Mr. Conner farmed his family's land along what is now Rockland Avenue near Manor Road, owned and operated a sawmill in the same area, worked as a land surveyor, and held a long series of public offices. Among his positions were County Clerk (1799), Captain and later Lieutenant Colonel in the local militia (ca. 1800-1817), member of the State Assembly (1810), County Commissioner for the Partition of Lands (1819-ca. 1831), and County Surrogate (1820-1821). One of his notable accomplishments as a surveyor was to create maps of the towns of Castleton and Northfield, Staten Island, in 1797.
|Subjects||Clothing & dress|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Accessory|
Conner, Richard II
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|