Toddler's dress of ivory cotton. Bodice has a square neckline, short puffy sleeves with lace trim, and back closure with drawstrings at the neckline. Bodice front has embroidered openwork, and bodice back is gathered. Skirt is gathered into the high waistband. Embroidered net insertions near hem with fine tucks in between.
(Keywords: Fashion, Children's Clothing)
|Acquisition||Gift of Florence Worth|
|Ownership and History||
This dress was worn by Dr. Nathaniel Lord Britton (1859-1934). Dr. Britton was born in New Dorp, Staten Island, the son of Jasper Alexander Hamilton Britton and Harriet Lord Turner. He was a graduate of the Columbia College School of Mines, receiving his Ph.D. in 1881, and he taught geology and botany at Columbia from 1879 to 1896. He was the first director of the New York Botanical Garden, and until his retirement in 1929 contributed significantly to its growth. He was also a founder and charter member of the Natural Science Association of Staten Island and the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. His published works include "An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada" (with Addison Brown, 1896-1898) and "The Bahama Flora" (with Charles F. Millspaugh, 1920).
Dr. Britton lived in New Dorp in the house now known as Historic Richmond Town's "Britton Cottage." A Britton family ancestor lived in the house in the 1690s and early 1700s, and Nathaniel Britton's parents were living in the house by 1860, later passing the house to Nathaniel. Dr. Britton and his wife deeded the house to the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences in 1915 to become a museum. Ownership of the house was transferred to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1951, and the house was moved to its present location at Historic Richmond Town in 1965.
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
Britton, Nathaniel Lord
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.