Woman's 2-piece costume dress and headpiece with bowling theme. Dress is black cotton sateen with batik-style painted designs featuring bowling pins, balls, scorecard, and scrolls. Bodice is also decorated with small gold-painted wooden bowling pins and trimmed with sheer black and gold metallic textured ruching at neckline and waist. Bodice has short puffy sleeves, round neckline, and side closure with hooks and eyes. Skirt is flat in front and has 2 large pleats in back on either side of center hook and eye closure. Skirt also has a V-shaped extension in back at waist. Matching headpiece is black cotton sateen with sheer black and gold metallic ruching and attached small gold-painted bowling pins.
(Keywords: Fancy dress, Fashion, Accessory, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Albert T. Zorn|
|Ownership and History||
This dress is associated with the Staten Island Quartett Club. The club was established in 1861 by members of Staten Island's German community, which was concentrated in the Stapleton area. The group held numerous social events, including musical performances and an annual Masquerade Ball. The Quartett Club enjoyed a long history, and celebrated both a fiftieth and a seventy-fifth anniversary. It dissolved in 1954, just 7 years shy of its one hundredth anniversary.
An 1898 newspaper article describing that year's Masquerade Ball listed the variety of costumes worn by women, including a shepherdess, a harlequin, a fairy, Goddess of Liberty, French maids, a farmer's daughter, and a butterfly. The Club's 50th Masquerade Ball (1911) was also described in detail in a local newspaper, which noted that no other event ever surpassed that evening in the "beauty of decorations...brilliancy of costumes or in the thorough enjoyment of the occasion by all who were fortunately present."
Clothing & dress
|Lexicon Sub-category||Clothing -- Outerwear|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by The Coby Foundation, 2009.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|