Metal fireman's badge from New Dorp Hook & Ladder Company No. 1. Silver-colored metal badge in Maltese cross shape. Circular central medallion has raised number "38" in center; upper and lower portions of the cross are inscribed "NEW DORP / H. & L. CO. NO.1"; left and right portions of the cross have a raised image of a hydrant and a crossed hook and ladder. Reverse has a pin fastener. Reverse has stamped mark: "THE / C.G. BRAXMAR CO / 10 / MAIDEN LANE / N.Y." Badge measures 1.75 inches high x 1.75 inches wide. The C. G. Braxmar Company was founded in 1879 by Charles Braxmar. The firm produced many badges for fire departments and other agencies.
(Keyword: Firefighter, New York)
|Acquisition||Gift of Lucille K. LaVaud|
|Ownership and History||
The badge belonged to Henry S. LaVaud, Jr., a volunteer firefighter with New Dorp Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1. The company was organized 1894 and disbanded in 1915. Henry S. LaVaud, Jr. was the son of Henry Seguine LaVaud (b. 1853) and Imogene Hodge LaVaud. The badge was presented to the Staten Island Historical Society by his daughter, Lucille K. LaVaud.
|Maker||C.G. Braxmar Co.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Personal Symbol|
LaVaud, Henry S., Jr.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|