Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Mug, Shaving
Alternate Name Shaving Mug
Date 1878-1882
Description Porcelain shaving mug decorated with firefighting motifs and inscribed in gold lettering: "Niagara Engine Co. No 5. / T. Cornell." Mug is cylindrical with shaped base, rolled rim, and loop handle. Painted decoration includes painted flowers and a scene of a 19th-century fire pumper. Maker's mark printed in green on underside: "CFH" (mark used by Charles Field Haviland, Limoges, France, 1870-1882). Overall height 3.75 inches; diameter of base 4.0 inches.
(Keywords: Firefighter, Ceramic, New York)
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History Niagara Engine Co. No. 5 of Tompkinsville, established in 1878, was part of the Edgewater Fire Department of Staten Island.

Personalized shaving mugs were a common sight in early barbershops, and they sometimes included occupational imagery. Marked with the owner's name, they ensured that each patron would be shaved with lather from his own mug.
Earliest Date 1878
Latest Date 1882
Maker Haviland
Material Ceramic
Subjects Fire fighters
Barbershops
Grooming
Fire fighting
Lexicon Sub-category Toilet Article
Catalog Number A41.0024
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2011.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.