Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object Name Card, Trade
Date 1880s
Description Trade card. Tinted lithograph on paper. Illustration of the Brooklyn Bridge with steamships and sailboats below. Illustration is printed in black with blue and peach tint. Printed inscription below the illustration: "THE GREAT EAST RIVER SUSPENSION BRIDGE. / CONNECTING THE CITIES OF NEW YORK & BROOKLYN. / Total length 5988 ft. High Water to Roadway 120 ft. Roadway to Top 157 ft. High Water to Centre of Span 135 ft. / Width of Bridge 85 ft. Height of Towers 277 ft." Printed on the reverse: "Established 1872 / MRS. C. WEITZMANN, / DEALER IN / PICTURE FRAMES, WINDOW GLASS, STATIONERY, / PICTURES, VELVET FRAMES, CARDS, LOOKING GLASS, PUTTY, / Artist's & Paper Flower Materials, Albums, / MOULDINGS, DRAWING & SCHOOL UTENSILS, TOILET & FANCY BOXES, ETC., ETC. / NO: 42 CANAL STREET, STAPLETON, S.I. / Gold & bronze Frames a specialty."
(Keywords: New York)
Ownership and History This is a "stock card" (a generic trade card to which the advertiser added her specific information).

Charlotte Weitzmann was the proprietor of the store that advertised on this card, located on Canal Street in Stapleton, Staten Island. She was listed in the 1880 census as "Picture Dealer," and in the 1910 census as "Merchant, Photograph Store." The Weitzman family continued this enterprise for generations. Charlotte's grandson, Edwin J. Weitzman, was a later proprietor of the business, known in the twentieth century as Weitzman's Photo Shop (located at 61 Canal Street).
Earliest Date 1883
Latest Date 1890
Material Paper
Subjects Advertising
Stores & shops
Trade cards
Lexicon Sub-category Advertising Medium
Associated People Weitzmann, Charlotte
Catalog Number X12.0032
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2015.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.