|Object Name||Chair, Hall|
|Description||Hall chair, Renaissance Revival style. The back of the chair is carved in an intricate curvilinear pattern that includes dragons. Hinged wooden seat has gadrooning along the edge and a compartment below. Spiral carved legs. This chair is a pair with F01.0483. Made in the United States. Measures 41 inches high x 20.375 inches wide x 19 inches deep.|
|Acquisition||Gift of St. Simon's Episcopal Church|
|Ownership and History||
This is one of a pair of hall chairs that belonged to the Raymond family of Vanderbilt Avenue in Clifton, Staten Island. In 1937, Laura Adele Raymond bequeathed the chairs to St. Simon's Episcopal Church, which she and her parents had attended. The church stood on Clove Road, but was torn down in the 1960s for construction of the Staten Island Expressway. The chairs were used in the chancel of the church, and were later moved to the church's new location on Richmond Road. In 1972 the church donated the chairs to the Staten Island Historical Society.
Raymond, Laura Adele
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|