|Title||Eugene Jones Pharmacy|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Empire Photo View Co.|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Interior view of a drugstore. Wooden counter with a glass display case in the center; the case is filled with cigar boxes. Behind the counter, the walls are lined with shelves that are filled with glass apothecary jars. Three men stand in the photo; two are behind the counter, and one stands at left, leaning his elbow on the counter. All three men wear white coats. Handwritten inscription in pen on mount below the photo: "Eugene Jones Pharmacy - Corner Harbor Road [last word is illegible] / Ernest Morsten / GW DeHart / Walter Watson". Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "[Wa]lter Watson / Corner Harbor Road." Stamped inscription in blue on reverse: "EMPIRE PHOTO VIEW CO., / 757 THIRD AVE., COR. 47TH ST., / NEW YORK." SIHS inscription on reverse: "corner Harbor Rd. & Richmond Terr."
(Keywords: Richmond Terrace, Mariners Harbor, drugstore, pharmacist)
|Print size||6 x 8.125|
|Acquisition||Gift of Dorothy DeHart|
|Ownership and History||In the early 1900s, George Washington DeHart worked in the pharmacy of Eugene Jones in Mariners Harbor, Staten Island. In 1904 he received his license to practice pharmacy in New York State, and the following year he opened his own business, the Terrace Pharmacy, at 2922 Richmond Terrace, Mariners Harbor.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
DeHart, George Washington
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.