Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Geib's Mill (Richmond Mill)]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Simonson, Mulford
Date ca. 1910
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print. Diagonal back and side view of Geib's Mill (Richmond Mill). Mill is a three-story shingled building on the edge of a creek. The building has multiple windows and the side has a door on each level. A rowboat is alongside the building; grass is in the foreground, trees and a church steeple (probably St. Andrew's) are in the distance.
(Keywords: Richmond, Gristmill, New York, HRT)
Print size 5 x 6.875
Ownership and History The massive tidal gristmill at the head of the Fresh Kills near Richmond, Staten Island, was probably built about 1760. Known during the Revolution as Beadle's Mill, it was owned by a family named Crocheron from about 1800 to the early 1850s, when it was acquired by William Geib. Two Seaver brothers, Patrick and Lawrence, recent emigrants from Ireland, operated the mill for Geib from the early 1850s through the 1870s, when the building was sold to the Simonsons. The structure remained in use to the end of the century; it was destroyed in 1922.
Earliest Date 1905
Latest Date 1915
Subjects Mills
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number PH01.0201
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.