Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [J.C. Vought store exterior]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1905-1910
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Exterior view of a storefront with a large glass window and a double glass door; the number "18" is above the door. Inscription on the window: "VOUGHT. / AUTOMOBILE'S, / BICYCLES / & HARNESS". A man stands on the sidewalk in front of the door, looking directly at the camera; he wears overalls, a sweater, and a cap. A few cans and tins are visible in the window. Handwritten inscription on reverse of mount: "J.C. Vought / 18 Bay St. Tompkinsville / c. 1910 / Automobiles, Bicycles shop"
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century, Automobile, Bicycle)
Print size 5.5 x 3.750
Acquisition Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society
Ownership and History The man standing in the doorway is presumably Mr. Vought, the store owner.

James C. Vought (1856-1911) lived in Tompkinsville, Staten Island, with his wife and daughter, and his occupation changed over the years to keep up with new modes of transportation. In the 1880 and 1900 census he was listed as a harness maker. In the 1906 Staten Island directory his business was listed in the category "Bicycle Dealers." By the time of the 1910 census, his occupation was listed as "Car Repairer, Auto Garage." His business card stated that he repaired both automobiles and bicycles. Related photograph PH01.0112 shows his store interior.
Earliest Date 1905
Latest Date 1910
Subjects Bicycles & tricycles
Bicycle shops
Storefronts
Automobile equipment & supplies stores
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Vought, James C.
Catalog Number PH01.0113
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, November 2015.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.