|Title||[Intersection of Arietta Street and Tompkins Avenue]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. View of the intersection of Arietta Street and Tompkins Avenue in Tompkinsville, Staten Island, with commercial buildings on both streets. At far right is a three-story brick building with a sign on the roof: "ROHDE." Signs on the building at far left identify it as the harness and bicycle shop of James C. Vought. A water trough for horses is in the street in the center of the image. Men stand in various locations on the sidewalk; a horse-drawn carriage is passing in front of the Vought shop. Handwritten inscription in pen on reverse: "About 1898 / Tompkinsville Corner / Soloman's & / Rhode [sic] & Schmitts [sic] Stores."
(Keywords: New York City)
|Print size||2.5 x 4.5|
|Ownership and History||
The "Rohde" sign is for the Rohde & Schmidt grocery store. Frederick Rohde and William Schmidt were listed in the 1899 Staten Island directory as grocers on Arietta Street at the corner of Tompkins Avenue, and also as farmers on Rockland Avenue in Egbertville.
Arietta Street later became part of Victory Boulevard.
Stores & shops
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Vought, James C.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, June 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|