|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Date||April 7, 1963|
|Collection||Richmondtown Restoration Collection|
Original B&W print. Diagonal front and side view of Aquilino's Pizzeria at the intersection of Richmond Road and Court Place in Richmond, Staten Island. A sign on the corner of the building projects out over the sidewalk; it appears to be an electric neon sign: "AQUILINO'S / PIZZERIA". Sign on the side of the building: "AQUILINO'S PIZZERIA / HAVE A 'PEPSI' WITH YOUR PIZZA PARTY / ITALIAN MEALS". Attached building or addition has open door with large windows on each side, with lettering on glass: "Villanova" and "Dining Room". The edge of Historic Richmond Town's Historical Museum (former County Clerk's and Surrogate's Office) is at far left, and the Edwards-Barton House is partially visible behind Aquilino's.
(Keywords: HRT, New York City)
|Print size||7.5 x 9.625|
|Ownership and History||
The house that is now Historic Richmond Town's Edwards-Barton House (seen in the background) was purchased by Nicola and Antoinetta Aquilino in 1921. The Aquilinos moved to Staten Island from Manhattan, and lived in the Edwards-Barton house with their two children. Sometime before 1927, Nicola built a one-story brick building directly on the corner of Court Place and Richmond Road in which he ran a retail grocery. In the early 1930s, it was changed to a billiard academy. Around this time it may also have become a restaurant-tavern which was later known as Aquilino's Pizzeria and Restaurant. It was a popular restaurant, one of the first such Italian restaurants on the island.
The Edwards-Barton House became part of Historic Richmond Town in 1966, and Aquilino's Restaurant was demolished that same year.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2016.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|