Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Richmond County Clerk's and Surrogate's office]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Barton
Date ca. 1898
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description B&W copy print. Diagonal front view of the Richmond County Clerk's and Surrogate's office, a two-story building with a stucco finish and Italianate features. There are two front entrances, each with a sign above: "SURROGATE'S OFFICE" and "COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE". There is a wooden fence in front of the building, a bare tree at left, and snow on the ground. Two men wearing coats and hats stand in front of the building, looking toward the right. At the far right edge of the photo is the back of what appears to be a horse-drawn sleigh with two people riding in it.
(Keyword: HRT)
Print size 5 x 7
Ownership and History This former Richmond County office building, constructed in 1848 at the intersection of Center Street and Court Place, now holds museum galleries and is part of Historic Richmond Town, Staten Island, New York.
Earliest Date 1895
Latest Date 1905
Subjects Government facilities
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number PH01.0196
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.