|Title||Anton Reinhold Saloon|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on cardboard mount (cabinet card). View of a wood frame building on the corner of a street. A woman and two children are seated in the doorway with the door open; there are large, multi-paned windows on first floor at front and side. Inscription on a sign mounted on the front of the building: "PARK HOUSE / GEO. BECHTEL'S / [illegible] / LAGER BIER." Sign mounted on the corner of the building: "GEO. BECHTEL'S / [shield shape] / LAGER BIER / [STATEN ISLAND?] BREW'Y / [illegible] / [round emblem] / [...]ATER." Sign in the front window: "GEO. BECHTEL'S / LAGER BIER." Handwritten inscription beneath the photo: "ANTON REINHOLD SALOON / 1890." The reverse side of the mount has a printed inscription and handwritten inscriptions, possibly by different hands; printed inscription: "No. of Negative, 1396 [written in by hand] / S. MARKSVILLE, / Architectural, Mechanical / AND / LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHER, / 343 East 34th Street, / NEW YORK. / [...] / Photographs of Residences, Groups, Machinery and Architectural Work a specialty. / [...]." Handwritten inscriptions: "[in?] Bay / Water / Anton Reinholds Tavern. / 1890 / mom / Tony / Ann / 1890 / Stapleton / Bay & Water St." The inscription may identify the woman as Anton Reinhold's wife Katherine, and the children as their son Anthony George and daughter Anna.
(Keywords: New York, Bay Street, Water Street)
|Print size||5.25 x 4|
|Acquisition||Gift of Frank Reinhold|
|Ownership and History||Anton Reinhold (1856-1919) immigrated to the U.S. from Germany. His occupation in the 1880 census was Saloon Keeper.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Reinhold, Katherine M. (Bouel)
Reinhold, Anna E.
Reinhold, Anthony George
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, July 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|