|Title||[Killmeyer's Union Hotel]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Front and side view of a two-story clapboard building with a square turret. Sign on corner of building: "ESTABLISHED / 1859 / UNION / Killmeyer's / HOTEL". Three men stand at the corner of the building, looking toward the camera.
(Keywords: Kreischerville, New York)
|Print size||3.250 x 5.375|
|Acquisition||Gift of James Sales|
|Ownership and History||
In 1859, Nicholas Killmeyer built a hotel and grocery in Kreischerville, Staten Island, and in 1890 he enlarged and refurnished it. It was described in an 1898 book as having "probably the handsomest bar and billiard rooms on the Island." When Nicholas Killmeyer retired in the 1890s, his son Theodore took over management of the hotel, and his son Albert managed the store.
The establishment changed hands and was renamed multiple times before the 1990s, when it became known as "Killmeyer's Old Bavarian Inn." It is located at 4254 Arthur Kill Road.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|