Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Miss Elliott on rings
Object Name Negative, Glass-plate
Photographer Austen, E. Alice
Date May 23, 1893
Collection Alice Austen Photograph Collection
Description Original glass plate negative. Interior view of a gymnasium. Daisy Elliott is suspended several feet above the ground, holding two ropes; Violet Ward stands on the floor to the right. Numerous dumbbells hang on the wall behind them. Both women face the camera; they are both wearing outfits with bloomers. The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscriptions for two related photos that were apparently together in the sleeve: "Seed / 23 / No. 545 / Miss Elliot in pose / 3 /12 / Fair light, glare skylight shades / P.L. / 12n / Stop 22 / Tuesday May 23d 1893 / Berkley A.C." (this inscription corresponds to photo 50.015.6589); shorter inscription separated by a line: "Stop 16 / 2 /12 secs / 12.25 / P[M] / & on rings / lower gym" (the second inscription corresponds to this photo).
(Keywords: New York City)
Film Size 6.5x8.5
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History Alice Austen's friend Delia Marie Elliott (nicknamed Daisy) worked as the gymnasium director at the Berkeley Ladies' Athletic Club, located on 44th Street in Manhattan. The club provided elaborate facilities exclusively for the use of their female members. A notice in the New York Times on February 23, 1895, announced that the club name would be changed to the Berkeley Gymnasium, and they would offer a wider range of activities, including an evening class for "business women and girls."
Earliest Date 1893
Latest Date 1893
Subjects Gymnasiums
Athletic clubs
Sport clothes
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Elliott, Daisy
Ward, Maria E.
Catalog Number 50.015.6590
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, July 2017.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.