|Title||[Askel Isaacs' store]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
B&W copy print. Diagonal front and side view of Askel Isaacs' clothing store, located on Richmond Terrace at Van Street in West New Brighton, Staten Island. It is a two-story brick building located on a corner; an adjacent wooden building is partially visible at left. The storefront has two large windows with hats and other items on display; there is a door between the two windows. A woman and three children stand outside the door; another woman looks out one of the second-floor windows, next to a small child seated on the window sill. An awning over the ground floor windows has inscription: "A. ISAACS."
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||5 x 7|
|Ownership and History||
The Isaacs family was one of the first Jewish families to settle on Staten Island. Askel Isaacs (ca. 1862-1926) was a founding member and vice president of Congregation B'nai Jeshurun, which in 1891 built the first synagogue on Staten Island.
Askel Isaacs advertised his business in the Richmond County Advance newspaper on July 9, 1887, noting that he was a "Dealer in all grades of Men's, Youths', & Boys' Fine Clothing, Dry Goods, Hosiery, Hats, Caps, and Gent's Furnishing Goods".
This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society by Rosalie Litinsky, granddaughter of Askel Isaacs.
Stores & shops
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|