|Title||[O.J. Prall, agent for White Bronze]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Oscar J. Prall stands between two large tombstones; his face is slightly out of focus. They are under a striped tent. He stands next to a table; on the table are papers and a photo of a tombstone. Behind him is a banner: "O.J. PRALL / AGENT FOR / WHITE / BRONZE / T.W. DONOHUE, ST[APLETON]". A small sign with the number "170" is attached to the bottom of the banner. The names on the tombstones are Mary A. Paight and Mary E. Cadmus Hughes; the Paight tombstone has a death date of 1887, and the Hughes tombstone has a death date of 1888.|
|Print size||7.750 x 5.5|
|Acquisition||Gift of Margaret Rupp|
|Ownership and History||
Staten Island resident Oscar J. Prall (1843-1925) was a carriagemaker and wheelwright. He also worked as an agent for the Monumental Bronze Company of Bridgeport, CT. The company was one of the largest makers of "white bronze" cemetery monuments, which gave the appearance of traditional stone monuments but were actually made of cast zinc. The "Hughes" monument at right still stands in the Asbury Cemetery in New Springville, Staten Island.
The 1895 Richmond County Fair program contained an advertisement for Mr. Prall: "O.J. Prall, sole agent for White Bronze Monuments, Statuary, busts, medallions, &c. A Perfect Likeness from Photo, or Person Guaranteed. Estimates and designs furnished. New Springville, S.I. N.B. - Parties desiring information will be promptly waited upon."
The banner that appears in this photo is part of the Staten Island Historical Society's collection, along with other items related to O.J. Prall's work with the Monumental Bronze Company. The items were acquired in 1986 from the estate of Oscar Prall's daughter, Mary Prall Decker.
|Subjects||Tombs & sepulchral monuments|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Prall, Oscar J.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.