Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Former Second County Jail]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1890
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description B&W copy print. Diagonal view of rear and side of a stone and wood building at the intersection of two streets; the building is identified as the Second County Jail, at the intersection of Richmond Road, Arthur Kill Road, and Richmond Hill Road (in foreground). Several neighboring buildings can be seen to the left of the jail; another building is partly visible at far right, across Richmond Road. The wooden building that is partially visible at far left has three signs mounted or painted on the corner of the building: "RUMATICURE / A BLOOD PURIFIER"; "SHAKE NO MORE / REMEDY"; the third is not legible. A sign mounted on the wooden fence has inscription: "POST NO BILLS". An inscription on the reverse of the photo identifies the building as the Old Red Jail; other copy prints are identified as the Old Red Jail and County Clerk's Office.
(Keywords: HRT, New York)
Print size 4.125 x 5.5
Ownership and History The Second County Jail and First County Clerk’s office were destroyed by fire in 1895.
Earliest Date 1885
Latest Date 1895
Subjects Jails
County government
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number PH01.1245
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.