Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [House at 156 Clarke Avenue]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date late 1920s
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description B&W print on cardboard mount. Front view of the house at 156 Clarke Avenue in Richmond, Staten Island. It is a two-story clapboard house with a square turret at left. The house is seen from across the front lawn, which is planted with a variety of flowers and shrubs; a wire fence is in the foreground. A man stands in front of the house; another man stands at left, next to a car, and another person looks out of a second story window. American and Italian flags hang in front of the entrance.
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York City)
Print size 16 x 20
Acquisition Gift of Rosemarie Pilkington
Ownership and History This was the home of Guiseppe Livoti (1871-1942), who purchased the house in the late 1920s. Mr. Livoti had the title "Cavaliere," meaning Knight or Sir; he was given the Order of Merit by the Italian government for his philanthropy. He was born in Mazzara San Andrea, Sicily, and emigrated to the U.S. in the late 1800s. He is pictured in the photo standing in front of the house, next to the American flag.
The house is still standing as of 2016. It was originally surrounded by a large area of property, including fruit orchards and vineyards. The family sold off the adjoining property after World War II. Part of the family's former property is the land where the Richmond Public Library now stands.

This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society by Rosemarie Pilkington, granddaughter of Cavaliere Livoti.
Earliest Date 1925
Latest Date 1930
Subjects Flags
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 07.010
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.