|Title||Miss Elliott in pose|
|Object Name||Negative, Glass-plate|
|Photographer||Austen, E. Alice|
|Date||May 23, 1893|
|Collection||Alice Austen Photograph Collection|
Original glass plate negative. Interior view of a gymnasium. At left, Daisy Elliott stands on a box, seen in profile, dramatically pointing to a second woman, who is sitting on a raised bar. Three women sit on an upholstered mat under the raised bar; the woman in the center of the mat is Violet Ward, and the woman on the left (reclining on the mat) is Violet's sister Caroline. All of the women wear outfits with bloomers. The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscriptions for two related photos that were apparently together in the sleeve: "Seed / 23 / No. 545 / Miss Elliot in pose / 3 /12 / Fair light, glare skylight shades / P.L. / 12n / Stop 22 / Tuesday May 23d 1893 / Berkley A.C."; shorter inscription separated by a line: "Stop 16 / 2 /12 secs / 12.25 / P[M] / & on rings / lower gym" (the second inscription corresponds to photo 50.015.6590).
(Keywords: New York City)
|Ownership and History||Alice Austen's friend Delia Marie Elliott (nicknamed Daisy) worked as the gymnasium director at the Berkeley Ladies' Athletic Club, located on 44th Street in Manhattan. The club provided elaborate facilities exclusively for the use of their female members. A notice in the New York Times on February 23, 1895, announced that the club name would be changed to the Berkeley Gymnasium, and they would offer a wider range of activities, including an evening class for "business women and girls."|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Ward, Maria E.
Ward, Caroline Constantia
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, July 2017.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|