Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title St Marks Place Winter '91
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Almstaedt, Isaac
Date 1891
Collection Isaac Almstaedt Photograph Collection
Description Original B&W photo on gray cardboard mount. View looking down a snow covered street, with houses and trees along both sides; at left is a picket fence. A man is seen in profile; he is walking on the sidewalk at left, heading toward the street. Handwritten inscription in pen below the photo (probably the photographer's handwriting): " No 296 / St. Marks Place Winter '91." The mount has tape binding along one edge, suggesting it may have been part of an album.
(Keywords: New York)
Print size 4.125 x 6.625
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History The photograph was taken from St. Mark's Place near its intersection with Wall Street, looking south. The man pictured appears to have just walked up Wall Street. Two houses on the right side, numbers 296 and 298 St. Mark's Place, still stand, but McKee High School (opened 1935) now stands on the location where a large evergreen tree appears in the photograph. The area had been considered part of New Brighton until the 1880s, when, according to local legend, it was renamed by Erastus Wiman to canonize his business associate, George Law. By consolidating ferry lines and rail routes, Wiman ensured that St. George would become a new hub of Staten Island's business and civic activity.
Exhibit Label Heading St. Mark's Place
St. George, Staten Island
Winter 1891
Exhibit Label Text In this photograph, Almstaedt used the soft natural effect of snowfall to create a mood. The human figure (often placed off-center) within a grand environment is a theme that recurs in other Almstaedt photographs.
Earliest Date 1891
Latest Date 1891
Subjects Winter
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 96.019.0019.A
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.