|Title||[E. O. Vreeland Carriage Manufactory]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. Front view of a two-story brick building with a wooden ramp leading to a platform at the second floor level. There is a sign mounted on top of the roof: "E. O. VREELAND / CARRIAGE MANUFACTORY." Twelve men stand on the platform, some wearing aprons; parts of a carriage or carriages are at right. At ground level, two men are seated in a small horse-drawn carriage, with one horse harnessed to it; other carriages are at left and right. Inscriptions on the reverse from previous catalogers identify the location as Richmond Avenue, south of the Dutch Reformed Church in Port Richmond, and indicate that carriage construction was done on the first floor, with the paint shop on the second floor.
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||10.125 x 13.125|
|Acquisition||From Horatio J. Sharrett|
|Ownership and History||
Edar O. Vreeland (born ca. 1837) lived in Northfield, Staten Island. His occupation was listed as Blacksmith in the 1860 census, and Wagon Maker in the 1875 New York State census. In 1875 his household included his wife, Sophia, and two young children, Susan and Harry.
Carriages & coaches
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Vreeland, Edar O.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, July 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|