Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Interior of Benedict Brothers store, Manhattan]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Muller, O.
Date ca. 1900
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on off-white cardboard mount. Interior of the Benedict Brothers jewelry store on Broadway, corner of Cortlandt Street, in lower Manhattan. The room has a tin ceiling with column supports, and long rows of wood and glass display cases. Numerous men and one boy are in the store; all wear suits, and several wear hats. Some of the men are behind the display counters. In the center of the room is the Gothic style tall case clock that is now part of Historic Richmond Town's collection [F03.0070]. Printed inscription on reverse of mount is an engraved illustration and advertisement for commercial photographer O. Muller at 381 Canal Street, New York. Handwritten inscriptions on reverse of mount, in two different handwritings: "Benedict Bros. / Broadway & Cortlandt St. / showing official clock / given 6/65 to S.I. Historical Soc." and "Read Benedict / stands to L/O chronometer / He owned 'Ravenhurst' - Manor Rd / Chas. Benedict stands to R/O / radiator, left foreground / To right of Chas. is James / Van Pelt Burkman / (bald, mustache). / Standing at counter / with box, Fred Benedict, & behind / him is Edwin Benedict."
(Keywords: New York City)
Print size 6 x 8.125
Acquisition Gift of Benedict Burkman
Ownership and History The Benedict Brothers jewelry store was founded in 1819 by Samuel Ward Benedict as a watch and clock repair business. In 1836 Mr. Benedict established an estate on Staten Island, and over the next century, the Benedict family continued to live on Staten Island and operate their highly respected clock, watch, and jewelry business in Manhattan. According to a 1901 ad in the Richmond County Advance newspaper, their specialties were "fine watches, diamonds, and other precious gems." The business closed in 1938.

The Benedict Brothers store was known for many years as the official "keeper of the City time." Another photo of the store interior in Historic Richmond Town's collection shows the same Gothic style tall-case clock with a mounted sign that reads "Benedict's Time," which they used as their trademark.
Earliest Date 1895
Latest Date 1900
Subjects Jewelry stores
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Benedict, Samuel Ward (Ist)
Benedict, Read
Benedict, Charles P.
Burkman, James V.
Catalog Number 65.010.0001
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.