|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Front and side view of the Billiou-Stillwell-Perine house in Dongan Hills, Staten Island. The structure is seen from across Richmond Road, with grass, plants, and a culvert in the foreground. A sign hangs alongside the building, partially obscured by a utility pole: "BOX TRE[E] / TEA ROO[M]". A woman (too distant to identify) stands in front of the house, looking toward the camera. Reverse side of photo has a stamped number "789" and printed inscription "KODAK / VELOX / PAPER".
(Keywords: Perine House, Dongan Hills, New York, HRT)
|Print size||4.750 x 3.5|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
The Box Tree Tea Room was operated in the Perine House in the late 1910s and early 1920s.
Built ca. 1662, the Perine House is the oldest building on Staten Island. It stands at 1476 Richmond Road in Dongan Hills and is owned by the Staten Island Historical Society, Historic Richmond Town.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|