Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title St John's rectory
Object Name Negative, Glass-plate
Photographer Austen, E. Alice
Date October 30, 1888
Collection Alice Austen Photograph Collection
Description Original glass plate negative. View of the rectory of St. John's Church in Clifton, Staten Island. The rectory is a two-story Stick Style house with a porch; it is seen from across a wide lawn. The building seen in the background on the left is identified in other photographs as St. John's Sunday School; it is a stone building with a large stained glass window and a bell tower.
(Keywords: New York)
Film Size 6.5x8.5
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History Alice Austen's close friend Trude Eccleston lived with her family in the rectory of St. John's Church, erected ca. 1882. Trude's father, Dr. (Rev.) John Clarkson Eccleston, became the rector of St. John's Church in February 1856, and served for 7 years. He then became rector of Trinity Church, in Newark, New Jersey, in 1863. In 1866 he returned to St. John's Church on Staten Island and served for more than 40 years. In his later years he was rector emeritus of the church.
Earliest Date 1888
Latest Date 1888
Subjects Churches
Rectories
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Eccleston, Dr. (Rev.) John Clarkson
Eccleston, Trude
Catalog Number 50.015.6841
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.