|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. A group of ten men and one boy pose in a shipyard. They are in front of two wooden buildings, one with a low flat roof and one with a peaked roof and double doors that are open. Several of the men sit on a boat that is on the unpaved ground; another boat is at left. One man in the center stands in front of a bicycle. At right is a horse-drawn wagon with a man and boy seated inside. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "William H. & George Haughwout Boat Building / foot of South Avenue, Mariners Harbor" [note: inscription should read William M. Haughwout, not William H.]
(Keywords: Maritime, Shipbuilding, Boatyard, New York)
|Print size||6 x 8.125|
|Ownership and History||
William M. Haughwout's boat building business was located at the foot of South Avenue, near the Kill van Kull. When he became ill in the early 1900s, his son George W. Haughwout took over management of the company. In 1911, they advertised their business as the "Oldest yacht and boat builder on Staten Island…Headquarters for Mariners Harbor Yacht Club, with 150 members, which occupy the upper portion of the main building, and finds ample and convenient storage for yachts. Mr. Haughwout makes a specialty of yacht building, repairing and storage."
This photo came to the Staten Island Historical Society from the estate of Alice Eleanor Haughwout, daughter of George W. Haughwout.
|Subjects||Boat & ship companies|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Haughwout, George W.
Haughwout, William Meyers
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.