|Title||[Stapleton and Clifton]|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on yellow cardboard mount; half of a stereoview. View of Stapleton and Clifton, Staten Island, seen from a hillside. View includes numerous buildings, with some areas of open land; water is visible at left. The buildings of the Seaman's Retreat are partially visible in the distance. Printed inscription along left edge of mount: "American Views." Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "Stapleton & Clifton / Taken by H. Hoyer, / 1859 / Shows Seamens / Retreat now U.S. / Marine Hospital / also Old Ladies Home". Stamped inscription on reverse: "WM. T. DAVIS / 146 STUYVESANT PLACE / STATEN IS., N.Y."
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||3.125 x 2.875|
|Acquisition||Gift of William T. Davis|
|Ownership and History||
Little is known about H. Hoyer, the earliest documented commercial photographer on Staten Island. His business was based in a studio in the former Planters Hotel in Stapleton. He advertised his photography in an 1859 Staten Island newspaper, stating that in addition to his "large collection of stereoscopic pictures of the most prominent Views of Staten Island," he was "prepared to take stereoscopic views of private residences, gardens, groups, etc., at short notice, and on reasonable terms."
This stereoview was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1936 by William T. Davis, who served as the Society's first president from 1922 to 1936. Before donating his collection of H. Hoyer stereoviews, he cut them in half so that he could donate one part to the Historical Society and the other part to the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences (now Staten Island Museum).
Cities & towns
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|