|Title||[St. James Hotel]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W copy print. Diagonal front and side view of a large clapboard building with columns, porch, and balcony. Sign mounted on the balcony over the entrance: "ST. JAMES / HOTEL." A smaller section of the building at left has a sign over the door: "RESTAURANT." Additional signs are mounted on the porch railing and columns: "HORTON'S / ICE / CREAM"; "REGULAR / DINNER"; "TEA / COFFEE / CHOCOLATE / & / SANDWICHES"; "STEAKS / CHOPS / HAM / & / EGGS"; and "THIS IS THE / SPOT / WHERE THE / OYSTERS / ARE GOT".
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||5 x 7|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Britten Hillyer|
|Ownership and History||The St. James Hotel was located on Richmond Terrace, opposite the Bayonne Ferry, in Port Richmond, Staten Island. Built shortly after the American Revolution as the private residence of Judge David Mersereau, it became the Port Richmond Hotel about 1820. The name was later changed to the Continental Hotel, and by the end of the nineteenth century, it was called the St. James Hotel. Aaron Burr lived here at the end of his life and passed away in his second-floor room on September 14, 1836. The building was demolished in the late 1940s.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.