|Title||[Third County Courthouse and Richmond County Jail]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W copy print. Side view (seen from Tysen Court) of the Third County Courthouse (left) and the Richmond County Jail (right) in Richmond, Staten Island. A flagpole is in the foreground at left, and the Rezeau - Van Pelt cemetery is visible in the foreground at right. The ground is covered with snow.
(Keywords: New York City, HRT, Richmond)
|Print size||5 x 7|
|Ownership and History||
For many years the town of Richmond, Staten Island, served as the county seat of Richmond County. The Third County Courthouse was built in 1837, and today the building serves as the Visitor Center for Historic Richmond Town.
The Richmond County Jail was described in an 1897 New York Times article as "a stone structure thirty-six years old, two corridors and twenty-four cells for men, and eight separate cells for women." The article noted that the jail was constantly damp and in need of improvement. The jail was substantially rebuilt ca. 1904, and remained in use until 1953. It was demolished by the City of New York in 1959.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.