Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Pool hall in the Griffith Building]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Lake, John E.
Date ca. 1900
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on black cardboard mount. Interior view of a pool hall. At right, two men stand behind an L-shaped glass counter; one man leans his elbow on the counter and holds a pipe in his mouth. There is a cash register on the counter, and the glass cabinet beneath displays pipes and boxes of cigars and cheroots. Tall cabinets behind the counter contain boxes, some made of metal; a second cash register; and a scale. At left there are several round tables with wooden chairs; three men are seated at the tables, with another man standing facing the camera, leaning on a table. Three spittoons can be seen beside the tables, and three more beside the counter, with stains on the floor nearby. Several pool tables stand at the far end of the room, with nine men nearby. Stamped inscription in red on reverse of mount: "JOHN LAKE / PHOTOGRAPHER / PORT RICHMOND". Handwritten inscription on reverse of mount: "Corner of Richmond Ave / AND Richmond Terr / upstairs". The location has been identified as the pool hall on the second floor of the Griffith Building in Port Richmond, Staten Island.
(Keywords: New York)
Print size 6.125 x 8.125
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History The Griffith Building still stands in 2016, located on Port Richmond Avenue at the corner of Richmond Terrace. It was built for Charles Griffith, who sold boots and shoes. The second floor pool hall sold tobacco products and provided billiard tables for the entertainment of customers. It may be the business identified in an 1887 advertisement as Kill Von Kull House, operated by Harry Johnson. Photographer John E. Lake (1840-1924) had a studio located nearby.
Earliest Date 1895
Latest Date 1905
Subjects Billiard rooms
Cash registers
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 96.048.0006
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.